Frequently Asked Questions
Will my toll costs go up with AET?
- If you are a current E-ZPass customer, your costs will not increase.
- If you are not currently a New Hampshire E-ZPass customer, you can purchase a New Hampshire E-ZPass transponder for $6.99. New Hampshire customers (with class 1-4 vehicles) receive a 30% discount on New Hampshire tolls with a New Hampshire E-ZPass account.
- If you are not a New Hampshire resident, you can still purchase a New Hampshire E-ZPass transponder and qualify for the discounted toll rates!
What if I don’t have an E-ZPass?
- If you don’t have an E-ZPass and go through the toll plaza, you can use
- 1) the online 7 Days To Pay program, or
- 2) you will be billed via toll invoice for the full toll cost plus a $1 administrative fee.
- We recommend that travelers sign up for E-ZPass if they will be using the Turnpike system regularly. Simply click here and go to Sign Up for E-ZPASS.
- If you use the 7 Days to Pay option on the E-ZPass website, you can avoid the $1 administrative fee and pay only the toll rate.
Can I still pay with cash?
How is the AET project being funded?
The project is 100% funded by the New Hampshire Department of Transportation’s Bureau of Turnpikes toll revenues. No federal highway funding or taxpayer dollars are being used in the construction of these improvements.
Will there be traffic delays during construction?
As in all construction, there will be some delays. However, the project has been developed to minimize delay and maintain existing speed levels through the project area as much as possible.
How do I get an EZ Pass?
You can go to https://www.ezpassnh.com/ for more information and to sign up for E-ZPass. Or you can visit an E-ZPass Walk In Center, with locations in Concord (54 Regional Drive) and Portsmouth (14 Manchester Square). Hours may be reduced due to the pandemic, so please call ahead to confirm at 877-643-9727.
How does the 7 Days To Pay program work?
This program allows you to go online and pay your toll without incurring the $1 administrative fee. For more details, visit https://www.ezpassnh.com/faqs and scroll down to 7 Days to Pay.
Why is NHDOT installing an AET system?
What are the environmental implications for this work?
AET systems have a positive effect on the environment because they reduce vehicle emissions and improve air quality for the same reason: vehicles are not braking, stopping and accelerating. This creates a measurable reduction in vehicle delays and associated idling fumes. Here are other environmental reasons: http://nh.gov/dot/org/operations/turnpikes/ezpass/ort.htm.
When will this project be finished?
The new AET system will be available for travelers to use in Summer 2022, and all construction will be completed in Spring 2023.
Will the new system make my commute faster?
Yes, because you will no longer have to slow down to pay a toll or encounter congestion at tolling plazas.