Dover Project Overview
The purpose of this project is to convert the two toll plazas on the Spaulding Turnpike (NH 16) – in Dover and in Rochester – to All Electronic Tolling (AET) facilities. The Frequently Asked Questions section of this website at https://www.nhaet.com/faqs/ provides more information on the benefits of AET and what this change means to you.
As of October 19, 2022, AET is operating full time and NO CASH will be accepted at this toll plaza.
Construction and Traffic Updates
There are no construction and traffic updates at this time.
- The road in the vicinity of the Dover toll plaza area will be reconstructed to three lanes in each direction to accommodate AET and open road travel along the turnpike.
- The existing road width at the plazas themselves will be reduced to meet the needs of the three-lane facility.
- Pavement surfaces through the entire project area will be reconstructed.
- Existing parking lots will be removed.
- The Dover plaza requires demolition of the eight existing tolling lanes, seven concrete barrier islands and toll booths, canopy, and all connected appurtenances. This will take place over the winter.
- The toll plaza administration building and the equipment building will be demolished, and the tunnel decommissioned.
- The new AET gantry supports overhead electronic toll collection equipment. Overhead signs have been installed on the approaches to make it clear to travelers that tolls can be paid by electronic or invoicing means only.
- Intelligent Transportation Systems (ITS) technologies will be constructed between Exits 6 and 8 in Dover at three separate locations. The installations will include two Closed Circuit Television (CCTV) towers and one Dynamic Message Sign (DMS).
Traffic impacts are expected to be minimal for the remainder of the project.
The project began construction in Fall 2021.
The full-time conversion to AET took place on October 19, 2022. AET is currently in full-time operation.
All construction will be completed in Fall 2023.
If you have a question on this project, please send us an email at Sam.B.Newsom@dot.nh.gov
For more details on this project, go to https://www.nh.gov/dot/projects/doverrochester29440/index.htm